Thread: Exotic MUDs
View Single Post
Old 05-13-2006, 12:32 PM   #5
Anvilsmith

Anvilsmith is on a distinguished road
Whenever I play a non-RPI game for too long (and that includes certain CRPGs), I wind up forgetting the character's gender and race for some reason - most likely because they don't matter. So long as the game itself doesn't acknowledge these traits, either by integrating them into the code or by enforcing proper RP on everyone's part, they may as well be treated as the inessential scraps of text they are.

RPI MUDs don't usually have any problems handling intricate race concepts. Armageddon has thri'kreen and darksun-style halflings, for instance, though last I heard, the former were unplayable. Granted, it takes a lot of effort on the player's part to get such characters approved, which is one of the reasons why you'll find few half-giants around, but this actually works for the game's benefit, ensuring that players are all the more careful when playing a "special" race.

If you want to emphasize part of a race's ethos, the easiest (though least applicable) way to do so involves using code. Is a certain race telepathic and constantly displaying thoughts? Tinker with the "think" command so it displays the input string to every other member of the race within the room. Does one race thrive on desecration? Require its members to feed not simply on food, but also the life force of sentient beings, aging them permanently in order to sustain themselves. Those who wished to play 'repentant' members of this race would simply watch their characters die off due to starvation. Want a certain creature to possess a strict schedule by nature? Have it lose health and fatigue when staying outdoors at night. And so on.

By the way, Shane, I tried connecting to the dinosaur MUD, as well as Jungle MUD, but couldn't manage it. The latter seems to be down, perhaps permanently, but the former, well... It's got an active forum, so I have no idea what's wrong.
Anvilsmith is offline   Reply With Quote