Thread: MUD Reviews
View Single Post
Old 11-01-2007, 11:37 AM   #56
Lasher
Administrator

Name: Derek
Lasher has a spectacular aura aboutLasher has a spectacular aura about
Re: MUD Reviews

Whatever we do or don't do with reviews will have nothing to do with who is a sponsor and who isn't. The income this site generates could triple overnight by simply accepting more of those spammy "Wow Gold / Other game Gold / Arcade Site / etc ads" that I turn away almost daily and replacing the center sponsorship banner with rotating affiliate links. Those that pay per impression vs per click/action would do particularly well as TMS is high impression low action/stickiness. Now that I think about it, the forum was designed with the idea that non-registered users would see Adsense ads - partly as a nag to sign up and partly because they would generate at least some click-through. 5 months later they havent even been turned on.

I personally turned off reviews as a MUD owner because there was zero moderation, zero chance to add feedback that would "stick" with the review, no expiration of old reviews and no requirement to have played the MUD in question for more than a microsecond (not that there's any way to police this last one). We had more good reviews than bad, but in both cases very little actual information or content that would be useful to a reader.

Some of our discussions on here address some of these points and as the site owner I think we can do a pretty decent job of creating a review system. As a MUD owner, I'm still not convinced, and the first time a "XXXXX MUD SUCKS ASS D))DZ!!!" review is turned down due to editorial standards that also happens to be a MUD owned by a sponsor, there will be a barrage of quotes just like the one about 15 lines up to deal with.
Lasher is offline   Reply With Quote