Thread: The Jerk
View Single Post
Old 07-28-2005, 12:36 AM   #13
Earthmother

Home MUD: GateWay MUD
Earthmother is on a distinguished road
I don't personally play this character, but there is one on my mud.

He is quite good at it, and I believe from talking to him OOC that it is not his 'real' personality... but he's got aspects of it. ;>

It seems to work out somewhat well for him: he is a PK-focused and -driven player, and 'the Jerk' lets him get all the PK action he craves. PK is *not* a huge part of our game, so, for him to take up 'the Jerk' is a rather big action... it gives the whole game some PK play that would otherwise be lacking.

I know that from talking to him OOC that he often wishes people *could* perceive him as something other than what he plays, but the general consensus of other players is that, well, he *is* what he plays. Part of this stems from the fact that our mud is not RP, and 'the Jerk' isn't always viewed with the RP intensity that this player wishes it were. He has played non-jerk characters, and has intimated to me that it is because he gets tired of being hated ALL the time, by everyone. He wanted to show folks that he wasn't JUST a Jerk.

On the other hand, his main character is, and probably always will be, the PK-hungry 'Jerk.' So, I'd have to say it works out fairly well for him, but he's got broad enough shoulders to carry it well, and to shrug off the criticisms.

(Apologies for the sideline view of this, but I'm not sure I can convince this guy to come post his own experience with it.)
Earthmother is offline   Reply With Quote