View Single Post
Old 04-22-2002, 04:52 AM   #19
KaVir
Legend

Name: Richard
Home MUD: God Wars II
KaVir will become famous soon enoughKaVir will become famous soon enough
You say that your theme "sounds more fun to me that spanking a purple dragon with a magical mace", but one of the nice things about a fantasy mud is the diversity of opponents (and thus the diversity of tactics required to defeat them). You can fight dragons, or orcs, or goblins, or any other sort of thing your imagination can conjure up - but in your mud, the players will be limited to killing Vietnamese solders. Hundreds of them. Thousands.

Now as a pure PK mud that might not matter too much - but from reading your latest post, it seems that the Vietnamese solders would all be mobs (or am I misreading your post?). From a strategic point of view it does sound interesting, particularly in terms of organisation and tactics - in fact it rather reminds me of mud concept which was discussed on MUD-DEV some years back, whereby the entire playerbase are thrown into the middle of a savage wilderness (except unlike your mud there are all sorts of nasties out there, and the players are forced to create their own settlements, tools and weapons).

However as far as gameplay is concerned, I think it's soon going to get boring for most players - you just don't have enough options for diversity. A World War II style mud might be more flexible (there are more sides involved, more vehicles and weapons, etc), but personally (and I know you wouldn't like this) I'd much rather see your ideas implemented into a futuristic mud. The players could choose from fictional races, or be regular humans, they could have a wide range of advanced weapons and gadgets, travel around in customised spaceships exploring new worlds and abandoned vessels - think something along the lines of Aliens (or Space Hulk). Now to me, that would be fun - because I'd have no idea what would be out there, and I'd have far more personal customisation available.

Anyway, just my opinion - not intended as criticism. I applaud you for going against the crowd, even though your mud wouldn't really appeal to me personally.

Some quick points though - are you going to have levels? If so, how will you handle the mobs? Different solders of different ability? Also you keep mentioning classes, but have you considered using a classless approach?
KaVir is offline   Reply With Quote