View Single Post
Old 03-20-2003, 03:20 PM   #16
Serpentia

Serpentia is on a distinguished road
I know there are going to be some people that will disagree, so I'm not saying this applies to everyone and everything concerning rp-enforced muds. I have yet to play a mud that was strictly rp-enforced. I played on one that limited the OOC channel to things concerning the ooc aspect of the game and limited the use of the IC channel to PK challenges, leaving the only place to really rp being in room with people. A lot of the people that played there felt that if they could not rp on a global channel then why bother. They felt it was a waste of their time to participate if they could not be out and gaining levels at the same time. It would seem that muds that restrict a lot would be missing something in the long run. Going by that basis, it would seem to me that enforcing and restricting things would cause people to shy away from the muds that do so. I don't know of a single person out there that could log on a mud every day and know exactly what they were going to do or be in the mood to rp all the time. What do they do on these rp-enforced muds if you wish to take a few days' break or so from rp? Though it does seem to have the best interest of keeping the continuity of role-play in a game in mind, it just seems that it would take away from the quality of it. If there are muds that enforce rp out there that have at least good quality rp the majority of the time, then more power to you and your players for their thinking skills.

Currently I play on a mud that doesn't require rp, but highly encourages it. I really like the ways that the staff encpourages the rp. They put a lot of time and effort into coming up with writing contests and the such. Some even have mortals alts that they stir up quite bit of rp with. Being in a mud that doesn't make you rp all the time gives me a good bit of freedom to decide what I want to do. Of course I do put a lot into my rp, but there are days were I just like to log on and watch other people rp. I feel that not being required to contibute all the time leaves me with more motivation to participate and influences the quality of my rp when I have time to think on it. Fortunately, there are a good many people there also that care about rp, so I have yet to have problems like Jazuela has described.
Serpentia is offline   Reply With Quote