View Single Post
Old 06-28-2003, 09:26 PM   #19
karlan

karlan is on a distinguished road
Arrow

I definately prefer classless, but really like to tie skills into stats as well (some people are born warrior types, some are studious, some are.... - so if you are born a huge MOFO, with a lot of STR, CON and DEX then you will make a good warrior and skill advances and checks should reflect this), if at character creation you specify that you want a heayset, tall, brute of a char, with a tendency towards muscle rather than finesse or brains, then if later you decide you want to learn how to pick locks, and pickpocket, you are going about it all wrong and should be penalised (I know there are exceptions, but I try to generalise for simplicity in the game), there is no reason you cannot become a sneak thief, but physically you are better suited to clubbing them unconcious first if you want to see the contants of their pockets.

That said, I really limit skill levels, and amount of points. I have skills being able to be increased with use, but only up to a point.
It costs 1 point to learn a skill for the first time (you get 1 per level, and 10 at creation), you can pay extra points to increase it immediately if you really want to, or can go out and use it, but it will max out at 50%,
Then it will cost you 5 points to go up to 51%, and you can go out and practice more, but only up to 70%,
Next step, a further 10 points to go to 71%, and once again out to use and practice, but only up to 85%,
And so on, I am trying to limit characters to only being an expert in a very few skills, and a master of 1, maybe 2 at most (if you neglect and scrimp and save points)

Of course, there are quests that can be done to improve a certain skill up to a certain stage without the whole cost (sometimes no cost), and not just any trainer can teach any skill, at any level.

To further muddy the waters, there are many versions of some skills, this is done for RP reasons, watching the way someone casts fireball, gives an indication on who taught them (or where they were taught, schools tend to have multiple trainers, with a bit of overlapping, but all the same "family" of skills.

This was an attmpt to try and force players to work together more, your "warrior" might be able to slay all the guards but be unable to get the door unlocked. A master thief who is good with locks is easily able to get the door open, but he needs a legend fighter to get past the guards, And neither of them have a clue how to survive in the desert on the way there so they'd need a guide as well... At least thats the theory.
karlan is offline   Reply With Quote