View Single Post
Old 05-02-2006, 09:59 AM   #2
Hephos

Home MUD: www.sharune.com
Hephos is on a distinguished road
My opinions on the matter is that without this explosion of "crap" stock games, and the ease to get a mud up and running the mud market would have been very limited and even more niche than it is today. DIKU has definately been a help to get people into the text-based gaming.

HOWEVER! Their non-profit license has also LIMITED the whole market. It has greatly reduced the amount of money that could have been flooding into the games, improving them, making their staff fulltimers, allowing better advertising and getting more people coming to the text-based games.

Nothing wrong with the codebase itself (i've even used it and have had a lot of fun and learning with it) but their license serves NO PURPOSE whatsoever and has only been bad for the community. It should have been under license where people could make profit from it. It would have been a blast for the text-based gaming.

Edit: And for people saying the license purpose is to somehow give profit to the diku crew. That is pure bull**** imo. I don't see any muds using their commercial engine. And whatever profit they made from that must be extremely small. If they wanted profit from it, it could have been handled so that you could BUY rights to make profit from the original codebase. That would seriously had given them a nice income.

Then people say it is a licsense between the university and the diku group where they were forced to use a non-profit clause on the codebase. Bull**** imo. I've never heard of any students making their own software (100% original) in classes, that couldn't use it as they want themselves. I would seriously like to hear that from their examinator or read their university policy regarding student's OWN software before i believe it.
Hephos is offline   Reply With Quote