View Single Post
Old 07-24-2013, 12:47 PM   #3
swampdog

swampdog is on a distinguished road
Re: Proof of Concept: Android App Directly Integrated into Existing MUd

Neat! I'm working on something similiar for Wayfar 1444, using twitter bootstrap and boilerplate (to create automatic resizing layouts for mobiles or pads). The goal is an HTML5 client, meaning it can run on most platforms and all without a download of any kind.

I went into making the MOO with this mindset from the beginning, so the gameplay itself translates well to a text free client - no typing commands, just contextual buttons and game screens. MOO lends itself to this as well, due to the object/verb structure - I can write generalized handlers for any object that figures out which buttons the client needs to display and what other elements need to interact with it.

The first thing I did was realize that not a single MUD protocol would be worth implementing on the client side. Instead, node.js acts a proxy between the MOO and the client, and the client operates purely on the JSON data sent from the MOO, or responds to events emitted from the node.js proxy (which can catch things like successful logins or what have you).
swampdog is offline   Reply With Quote