View Single Post
Old 07-24-2013, 04:28 PM   #6
plamzi

Home MUD: bedlam.mudportal.com:9000
Home MUD: www.mudportal.com
plamzi is on a distinguished road
Re: Proof of Concept: Android App Directly Integrated into Existing MUd

I took a similar approach with my latest web app and I consider it a very good/fast solution for anyone focused on supporting a single server (it could be a server running multiple games, with a node.js proxy running locally).

I'm also in general agreement with you in your attitude towards MUD protocols. That said, if the end goal is to support multiple games, someone might consider a node.js proxy that does more than ignore them. For instance, if the proxy connects to a number of other remote servers, it could benefit from supporting MCCP internally, irrespective of how/if it compresses the data for its clients.

GMCP is basically slightly customized JSON, so I found it really easy to parse our existing Mudlet a-la Aardwolf implementation in web UI JS. Nothing wrong with killing several birds with one stone.

I believe that of all MUD protocols for in-game data packaging (as opposed to compression), GMCP has the best chance of survival, all because JSON is now a de-facto industry standard.
plamzi is offline   Reply With Quote