View Single Post
Old 02-18-2003, 12:31 AM   #14
Keahi

Keahi is on a distinguished road
Arrow

When I was five, I had great plans. I was going to rule an island, and on that island, all the sweets would be free.

And then I grew up.

I still like to think that maybe one day, robots will do all the actual "work" in the world, leaving human beings to spend their days doing whatever they feel like doing, because it brings them joy or satisfies their curiosity or garners them the respect of their peers. But until that happy day arrives, we all got bills to pay.

Which is why it absolutely astounds me that there are people out there who spend what must be hundreds or even thousands of hours creating MUDs purely for the love of it and not just to make a quick buck. Gives me a warm feeling, restores my faith in human nature.

Not that there is anything wrong with making a quick buck; if you can pull it off, if there are buyers who consider what you are selling worth that buck, more power to you. Would I pay-to-play? Sure; even given the exchange rate, $10US/month or whatever is peanuts given how many hours I spend MUDding. But thus far I haven't had to because I've been able, in amongst the extraordinary amount of chaff out there, find wonderfully golden and free wheat.

It has admittedly taken some searching, but I don't believe that I'd have much more assurance of finding the right game for me just by looking at those ones with price tags attached and besides, like Xerihae, I prefer smaller playerbases (hordes make me feel overwhelmed and overlooked).

A point that I'm not sure anyone has raised yet is that there may well be p2ps out there who aren't turning a profit, rather just trying to cover their costs. Servers don't come cheap.

K, very opinionated today, apparently
Keahi is offline   Reply With Quote