View Single Post
Old 02-22-2004, 06:06 PM   #49
reyth

reyth is on a distinguished road
This sentiment to me has always begged the question, if you don't want folk killing npc's just for xp, why give xp for it and why so much, and why, in fact, even make the ones killable that you want treated more like citizens than monsters or invaders or whatever?

I mean on the one hand yes, that is extra work, but at the very most the rule should be temporary until the code has caught up to the rp theme of the mud. Then, if you want combat to be part of how people go about advancing, let them seek out the invaders, thieves, monsters, demons and whatnot that are good rp to kill.

To me, a fundamental flaw in most muds though is the reliance on rules to enforce what is essentially poor coding in relation to the intended theme of a mud. This I find more especially offensive in muds where I am asked to pay to play, then run through the wringer for not obeying one of about 1000000 rules that are there solely because the admins have not done their job and customized the code to fit their intended theme.
reyth is offline   Reply With Quote