Thread: Failure
View Single Post
Old 04-27-2009, 11:23 AM   #4
Sergeytov

Sergeytov is on a distinguished road
Re: Failure

(A quick aside: Don't worry, I fully recovered from the accidents that happened early in my MU*'s life.)

Both of you brought up what my 'goals' were. Excellent point.

If there were five players who'd come around (or even less) and have a good time? Awesome. Ultimately the place became a ghost town (where I was the only one on) for various factors, and I couldn't put in the work immediately to give it the love it needed. As to what happened with me? For playing I ended up joining the playerbase on another game most of them played on as well. I'm reasonably happy with how things are turning out so far.

Without over analyzing each and every coded thing I did (for the purposes of this thread, I'll likely bring up many of my coded efforts elsewhere), I realized one of the things that I enjoyed best was working with and writing code. It's something I did far more often than be in the trenches trying to kick up activity. If I do another project, it'll likely have far more focus on code. In the works talking with a couple people about joining a staff to work on code projects, so I can do what I enjoy without the other responsibilities that sapped me.

One of the ideas I thought of (unfortunately I haven't studied up on legal issues involved) is to attempt to create a 'Tabletop MU*', basically a text Open RPG that's more a toolbox for players to work with to run online tabletop in a MU* environment, rather than ORPG. Reason I held off is a) legal and b) I'd want to think of a way to differentiate from ORPG, which does its job rather well, I think (I've used it combined with Skype).
Sergeytov is offline   Reply With Quote