View Single Post
Old 01-11-2013, 03:57 AM   #4
Leech

Name: John
Home MUD: The Inquisition: Legacy
Leech is on a distinguished road
Re: The current hot topic of violence in video games.

Sorry Threshold =P I just got done reading a book about how to manipulate statistics, and it's got me to the point where I disregard them almost entirely when done by anybody but scientists in a closed, controlled environment. Anyways, on topic; I really, really agree with Casey Lynch's article in the second link of the OP. The gaming industry needs to have a voice in these arguments, and it needs to defend itself. I doubt it will stop us from being a scapegoat - but if we don't try to explain the issue, nothing will change.

I am a firm believer that video games don't cause violence. I can kill my courtesans for my money back all day and snort virtual whosit-whatsits, but that doesn't make me a bad person. Playing Call of Duty doesn't have me wanting to take an AK-47 to somebody's brains - because I know the consequences will be significantly less fun than playing Call of Duty.

And that's what it comes down to. That mental facility to distinguish between right and wrong, and the consequences of your actions. Even Grand Theft Auto usually has you come out as a good guy at the end. Everybody wants to be the good guy, and games cater to this. I don't know how they got it so twisted, really, I don't.
Leech is offline   Reply With Quote