View Single Post
Old 06-17-2010, 08:50 AM   #17
KaVir
Legend

Name: Richard
Home MUD: God Wars II
KaVir will become famous soon enoughKaVir will become famous soon enough
Re: Client support for graphical maps?

But you already do this in Maiden Desmodus - what do you use there? If other muds really want those energy bars, they will add support for whatever protocol you choose to support.

Honestly, yes, I would just do that. Here are my personal thoughts on the different options:

MXP: I would tend to avoid MXP for transmiting out-of-band data (I think only CMUD supports that so far, and I don't know of any muds that use it), and you don't want to send this sort of data in-band. MXP is also the least trivial of these protocols to add to a mud.

ZMP: I don't think any clients support this natively, and half the specification seems to have vanished (as dead links) along with its author. The use of NUL bytes can also make this a bit tricky to implement.

102: The unnamed protocol, currently used only by Aardwolf - and from my understanding they're planning to move to ATCP2 in the future anyway. It is, however, natively supported by MUSHclient and Mudlet. The data is sent as Lua code, which may not be so convenient for you.

ATCP: The IRE protocol, it's supported by their muds and at least one other (the German Avalon), and also seems to be the most popular choice among client developers. However it's already being phased out to make way for ATCP2/GMCP, and the specification seems to be following their implementation rather than the other way around.

MSDP: Used by over a quarter of my players, but not supported by any other muds at this time, nor natively by any clients (although you can add it to at least MUSHclient, zMUD, CMUD and TinTin++). IMO it's the simplest to implement, being very similar to MSSP (which is already supported by a couple of dozen muds).

They're currently going with ATCP. I would speculate that if/when ATCP2 is finalised, they'd probably switch over.
KaVir is offline   Reply With Quote