View Single Post
Old 03-26-2008, 01:40 AM   #1
prof1515

prof1515 will become famous soon enoughprof1515 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to prof1515 Send a message via Yahoo to prof1515
MUD Players' Bill of Rights

I hear a lot of complaints about different MUDs and myself have experienced instances where the sheer arrogance and callousness of a MUD's staff were intolerable. Sometimes it almost seems that disrepectful, arrogant, deceitful, bastardly administrators are more common in the community than not (I do retain hope that this isn't the case though!) and that players are viewed as nothing more than a disposable resource to be (ab)used and discarded when they cease to be of use or grow tired of the abuse or neglect they're subjected to.

So, I started coming up with the thought of a Players' Bill of Rights that I shall hold myself and my staff accountable to. While players are also subject to expectations, those may vary from game to game (though some are probably standard and are often just as applicable in real life). I thought I'd post this here, not just for feedback but as a reminder to some in the community that their actions toward their playerbase are not only unacceptable but that they have wider-reaching effects upon the entire community. Abuse one player and you hurt every MUD, not just your own.

So, here is a tentative MUD Players' Bill of Rights. Feel free to offer suggestions for expansion (I know that I'm likely forgetting some important considerations).

1. Players should be able to search for a game without having to sift through exaggerated and outright dishonest claims regarding features, player-base size, etc.

2. Players should be secure in knowing that their personal information, such as email addresses, will not be used or released without their consent unless so specified in the terms of its gathering.

3. Players should be able to expect fairness from a game’s staff and secure in the knowledge that favoritism is not employed to give some players benefits over others.

4. Players should be able to expect that respect and courtesy to a game’s staff will be met with equal respect and courtesy.

5. Players should be able to expect that a game’s staff will be honest about changes to the game that may affect the players’ experience.

6. Players should be able to expect that staff will acknowledge mistakes and take immediate action to correct them when they occur.

7. Players should be able to expect that staff will enforce their own game's policies and not waive them when convenient or desireable.

Last edited by prof1515 : 03-26-2008 at 01:43 AM. Reason: Amended
prof1515 is offline   Reply With Quote