View Single Post
Old 01-27-2011, 11:08 AM   #99
RP Kris

RP Kris is on a distinguished road
Re: What turns people from RP?

Our difference in preference is ironic considering our mutual love for tabletop RP. Back in college when I couldn't find a good consistent D&D group with the same gaming preferences, I started playing Muds and became hooked. Don't get me wrong. I still tabletop game and enjoy it, but it can't compare to the consistency of a 24/7 Mud.

Thinking about my present tabletop group now, we are supposed to get together weekly and it seems to happen only every two weeks if we are lucky. We also are playing Dresden Files which is alright, but I prefer D&D. I still tabletop because I like my friends, but mudding has been more consistent for me for years.

I do agree that the quality of roleplay depends upon the participants. Along with that though, I've found the key to even a decent RP environment is enforcement by the administration and player base. That is one thing I've found laking on every MMORPG. If your model is to get as many players as you can, RP enforcement isn't going to be at the top of the list. You would have to have a fairly large group of dedicated RP'rs that primarily interacted together to create an immersive RP environment. I know it is possible, but I've yet to find it on any MMORPG.
RP Kris is offline   Reply With Quote