View Single Post
Old 02-19-2004, 06:00 PM   #16
Dubthach

Dubthach is on a distinguished road
Yes botters are AFK. But not everyone who is afk is botting. Got it? :p

I suppose this could just be a terminology problem, but in the muds I've played, a character is botting when they program their client to play the game for them while they are not there, usually to gain xp or items. Its a shortened form of "robot". Most muds have rules against this, although not all. I'm ambivalent about it. I have run bots where it is legal to do so, but that is not what I was addressing in my OP.

IMHO, Aardwolf has a #### good AFK rule. You can stay afk indefinitely. Beyond that...I think not having an official rule would be best, with maybe the Imms pulling your plug (but no more than that) after you were gone too long. "Too long" could be 30 minutes or more, or tailored to the circumstance. In no case should being AFK require any official punishment or face to face with an Imm.

Someone else mentioned special protection for AFK people. I don't think this is appropriate, and was not arguing for it. If you play a full PK mud and are AFK, expect to be full looted if you are not in a safe place.

Dub
Dubthach is offline   Reply With Quote