Thread: RP Pet-peeves
View Single Post
Old 02-10-2004, 04:48 PM   #24
Eagleon

Eagleon is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Eagleon Send a message via Yahoo to Eagleon
1. Not being able to go one smidgen outside your stereotypical class role in a supposedly RP-friendly MUD. If I saw a pretty ring, and I was sorely tempted to try and steal it, if I wanted to even try I would have had to have created as a brigand or a thief instead of a "warrior". Agh.

2. The wisdom stat. I can live with intelligence as a stat (there are things that even the dumbest player could know "behind the curtains" of their character's mind), but really, what's the point of having wisdom as a number? If the player has a good idea of what his character is, he'll know when his character breaks down, when the player's character is fooled while the player is not, etc. Besides which, some players aren't terribly wise themselves, with ultra-wise characters, and then they look silly.

3. Mob-killing for the majority (or all) of your XP.

4. Ethos and alignment, especially when static.

5. Players who try to force you into their little RP scene. Most of the time, I'd not get involved with the characters who do this anyway. My character sometimes just doesn't care about saving a patch of forest outside of town. I personally care about conservation, but my character may not.

6. Weather not affecting anything beyond a few spells. This is more of an uneasement, as it is difficult to RP something that no one else even seems to notice, and something which _doesn't_ affect your character, but then there's supposed to be a raging thunderstorm around us at the same time. How am I supposed to act? Colds from wandering outside for hours in the rain, having to shout over thunder or wind (or having a few words blended out because of it), and a bit of damage from hail could be nice.

7. Bits of areas where it's out of theme, or even based on real-life. Funny sometimes, yes, but it's unnecessary and degrades the overall feel of the MUD for a few giggles.

8. "Look at me, I'm RPing" type people. These will try anything to bring your attention to their awesome RP prowess. They might be bad at RP, they might be good at RP, but it's still abnoxious.

9. Over-harsh law penalties because normal penalties just aren't enough, or aren't possible. Death to all thieves, vagrants, and trespassers! Heh.

[Edited a bit for grammar and clarity]
Eagleon is offline   Reply With Quote