View Single Post
Old 03-27-2003, 03:02 PM   #5
smadronia

smadronia is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to smadronia
I've seen a handful of ways to try and keep players interested myself, although all with limited success. And yes, generally I see this problem on hack n slash muds, where role play is all but non-existant.

The best way I've found to keep people interested is to give them something to do, which usually takes it's form in some kind of questor, usually an immortal. However, I've also noticed it's short lived, people log in only for the quests, and then log back out.

I've seen other muds grant immortalhood to the players that have been at the top the longest. While it doesn't really keep them interested, technically it gets them out of the mortal realm, so it partially solves the problem.

I've also seen high level pk put in, one mud I frequent has a highland system. There's a flag for it, and if you're top level, you can fight for it. If you wint, you become the highlander. There's no exp loss or anything like that, and only people in pk can actually fight for it, which takes some of the fun out. It kept people interested for a while.
smadronia is offline   Reply With Quote