View Single Post
Old 02-28-2004, 04:35 PM   #28
Scrod Fungus

Scrod Fungus is on a distinguished road
I may be a little late, it seems, to jump into the conversation, but I would like to focus my attention on and reply to the starting post of this thread.

I can see where you are coming from, but I really must say that I disagree.

For all those non-USers out there, I would just like to start this off by saying that the US is -highly- multicultural. I live in a small town in a residential school, and at any given time I can walk down the hallway and hear just about anything. English, French, Cajun French, Spanish, Japanese, Chinese, Swahili (spelling?), and various other Asian/African languages I can not even put a name too.

-------------------------------
So... Concerning Rudeness:
I am saying this as someone who can only speak English. It doesn't bother me in the slightest bit to go down the hall and hear someone talking on the phone to their family or whatever in their own language. That is there private conversation, and, besides, I have no right to be listening in on it in the first place. This can be an example of the rule that says it's fine to speak whatever you want on -private- channels.

However, I DO find it rude, uncomfortable, or (in a few particular cases) embarrasing when I find that I am the odd (wo)man out of everything, or that the topic of these people's conversations are of a more hostile or inappropriate nature. You seem to have a very good hold on English, so why not use it? It's far more convient for you to show off your cultural skills than it is for someone else to go and just learn a whole new language they did not even grow up with.

------------------------------
Concerning Creator/Imm-Player Relations

Not all qualified creators/imms can speak every language brought to their MUD from the outside world by its players. Yet, instead of banning these people or attempting to keep them out, they put in a rule that prohibits anything but English on public channels (those channels which, I would assume, need the most patrolling). I am also going to assume that since your playing the game, you can also speak and read English decently enough to adhere to these rules quite easily.

Scanning through several various posts, I've seen other people state the obvious to you concerning the administrative reasons for such a regulation.

So, where am I going with this?

I am sorry that seeing such rules tick you off, but they are there for a very good reason and are very easy to follow for most people competant in English enough to be playing the MUD in the first place.
Scrod Fungus is offline   Reply With Quote