View Single Post
Old 05-23-2007, 11:09 PM   #26
shadowfyr

shadowfyr will become famous soon enough
Look. Why not something flexible. You have races. Those races have "basic" characteristics that may tend to make them advance faster in certain skill sets. An elf, being attuned to the living world, might be *faster* at gaining ranger skills, or spell skills, where those spells are related to nature. They might be really bad at advancing in necromancy. Then you have the skill sets, as well as specific skills. You could become an expert lock picker, without being a thief, but its only one skill. To *be* a thief, you would need to practice a set number of skills in a *set* which are mainly dexterity based, but also could be cross attribute/set. The more in the set you practice, the less you must use them to maintain them. The cross sets may be things like alchemy, which would let a thief or a mage make posions, but you would need magic skill to make "potions". By the same token, your mage might poison himself trying to rig even a simple trap. Its not one of "his" set of skills. Learning it would be possible, with no bonuses, since its a cross class for thief and ranger (who hunt, so set some sorts of traps), but not normally for mages.

Now, some method might be useful for something that mixes a lot of mismatched skills, like formation of a guild or such, which would *create* a class. Such a person would have to make the effort of raise a set number of mixed skills to above 50%, or something, and keep them there before forming their training school. Once the school exists, then that could become a legitimate "set", but one that strictly demands that like 9 out of 10 skills practiced by its followers "must" come from that new set to gain the "class" bonus that lets them train them at the same rate as a pure thief, mage, etc., who also need to have 9 out of 10 of their own skills be from the same "set" to gain the same bonus.

But heh, just throwing out an idea. Its not like I have a bloody clue how to make it work. lol Though, I think I might use something similar, if I can work it out, in a normal "class" for an H&S. Specifically a monk, which would have five "attribute" sets, with some cross mixing, and bonuses for "following" a specific path all the way.
shadowfyr is offline   Reply With Quote