View Single Post
Old 08-28-2002, 07:44 AM   #5
TG_Nek

Angry

-Tyler, deliver me from Swedish furniture and clever advertising.-

Six ugly ugly things in "role-play"....

1) Names...

new player.

Who the HECK names their kid Deathmaster?  C'mon folks, when thinking of playing a role - put a little thought behind it.  If you want a nickname, then introduce yourself by the nickname.

2) Lack of Continuity

Often players will declare their character being "cold as steel" or as "quiet as his mother's grave", yet in actual role-play scenarios they so become boisterous and clambor for their role-play to 'stand out' that they totally lose sight of their 'character'.  Personally, I always find it amusing when I award the quiet, amost idle seeming, Warder in the background more experience in a role-play session than the overly helpful and flirting "grave" assassin.  Of course, if playing an overly quiet type in an rp scenario, its always beneficial to send some OOC tells to the Storyteller adding insight to the character's thoughts/emotions at the time just to show you're NOT idling :)

3) Lack of Historical Comprehension
When choosing the history of your character - pick a background you CAN role-play.  Role-playing doesn't mean "if I were this, this is how I would do it", it means choosing a character that (generally) is _not_ you and trying to perceive how they would react to situations given their background and history. If all the drow from Underdark (or wherever) were Driz'zt and rebelling against the dark goddess, it would defeat the concept of Driz'zt.  I hate Driz'zt (sp?) concepts to begin with.  If all vampires felt bad about drinking human blood and drank pig's blood, it would defeat the concept of what a vampire was.  If all Shienarans acted like horny 15 year old boys, I doubt the Blight would be held back for very long or women would be held in the regard they are.

Understand WHAT you're getting yourself into and don't weasel out of it because that is not how you want to play it.  Its fine to be a little different to add character to your character - but at least give SOME semblance of understanding your own past.

4) The Superman

"Sure my character has already reached the level of Blademaster at age 14 (not Borderland age, mind you) and he is betrothed to Queen of Altara's daughter, but that doesn't mean he can't play a wolfbrother on the edge... oh, and can I have claws pop out of my wrists?"

There are 24 hours in a day.  Believe me, trying to entertain my gf, work FT, school FT, and Admin a MUD - I can account for every single ONE of those 24 hours in a day (even the hidden hour between 4 and 4:01).  By _my_ calculations  it would be seemingly impossible to put an intensive 8 hours a day to sword training, gathering ore and components for your spells and research, writing your own Master Mage level spells (which I would equate to writing really long code...in binary... on acid), all the while woo'ing the great elven princess Daphne.  Granted, I am not under a haste spell which would double my actions per round and aging process.  And they didn't even have COFFEE or Mountain Dew back then.

If you find the many aspects of a fantasy genre appealing - go for it!  Role-play them all.  But do it over the course of a FEW characters, not one.  Aside from Bruce Wayne, no man can do it _ALL_.  
Okay, and Seth Green too, but thats different.
And KaVir.

Personally, I just enjoy popping in a mob every once in awhile to play a background barmaid or streetsweeper to add a little mundane flavor to people's lives.  Let them live the adventures to impress we "smaller" people.

5) Opportunists

"Yeah, it is really upsetting to me that the Children of the Light admin is going on leave and the guild is being closed because of it.  Hey!  Does that mean my character can have a change of heart and apply for the Tower Guard, they have a cool guild skill!"

I hate when a guild is closed for a time and everyone jumps ship to strategically place their characters elsewhere during the interim.  It is so forcing role-play.  If you want to put a character in a different guild MAKE AN ALT.  Let your favored Illianer Companion sit on the back-burners for a bit until the Companions re-open - don't go off and try to join Aiel.  You just look dumb.

6) Justifying PK

"MwuHAA!  I slaughtered half the mobs in the White Tower just to role-play with you, young Novice!  Now, swear the Oathes or die!"

And then they get bent out of shape when I trans them to a holding cell with a little message saying they finally get subdued by the Guard.

In a role-play MUD, player-kill intent peeps need to realize that the MUD is there for world - not the other way around.  There is safety, there are safe-havens - you cannot just go around slaughtering everyone everywhere for any reason.  Much like REAL LIFE there are consequences to the actions you bring about yourself.  If you announce you are going on an IC shooting spree in the local police station, you shouldn't expect the immortal staff NOT to jump in some mobs and do their best to "take you out" with extreme prejudice.

"Sure, I'm sorry for forcing RP on you and _god_forbid_ common sense, but if you didn't take the first pot shot at continuity and realism maybe I would'nt've gotten upset."

- I want you to hit me as hard as you can. -

RTC.

[Editted to disable emoticons]