View Single Post
Old 08-28-2002, 12:43 PM   #12
TG_Nek

Angry

I'm going to split the post on this one.

Before I got into mudding, I was considered one of the better role-players of our sunday little circle of geeks. When I got into mudding it was a bit of an adjustment for me because reactions are a bit slow-coming compared to a table-top setting.

To that end, I _really_ disliked role-playing with 4+line emoters. The role-play scenarios took too long, I'd get tired of waiting on them, etc. etc.

A few years down the line, after playing more and more I realized that the folks that truly understood the continuity and flavor behind the world we were playing in were the ones who took their time with their prolonged responses. So I would spend more and more (and _more_) time playing with them and became better adjusted to their style of play.

While I still don't see myself making many 4-line poses, I definitely identify more with the long posers than the short ones. My poses generally hit 2 or 3 lines. Which I find I can generally whip out fairly quick and get my point across.

Of course, PACING definitely has a lot to do with it.

In a moment of high drama, yes I believe short and sweet bursts are the way to go. Waiting on that minute long post when things are hitting the fan can often seem counterproductive to the moment.

If you want to play your character as thoughtful and pensive, I wouldn't have any objection to a long-posing player. I would expect the player might not enjoy role-playing with me if I were playing my impatient rapscallion gleebrat. But thats the way it works in real life, too, so it works fine ;) Thats why kids are always grabbing the pant legs of their parents and tug away going "mom mom mom mom mom". Its all about the attention span of the character ;)

As for socials, I find I am not as vehemently against socials as most the players are where I play. Probably because I have access to write them and I try to write them as practically as possible for role-play scenarios. Heck, I'll even admit to writing some just for specific characters I have. Abuse of power - rock on. Whereas a good emote can be much more flavorful than a social - sometimes you need to stick with short and sweet to keep the pace of the role-play session going.

So, in the end I guess I'd say long/short emotes have their place. The extremes are what makes the types unbearable.

TG_Nek nods.