View Single Post
Old 12-30-2010, 08:59 PM   #2
Jazuela

Jazuela will become famous soon enoughJazuela will become famous soon enough
Re: Sort of beginner looking for MUD to play (lots of info, long post)

First, you should know that the vast majority of muds are free. Only a very limited handful require payment and some of those are only payment required for added perks, but you can play a "basic" access for free.

Next - combat systems: the Simutronics games (GSIV, DR, etc) use a proprietary codebase, so you probably won't find that particular system anywhere else.

Next - it sounds like you're looking -primarily- for a hack-n-slash, where the main goal is to gain levels, and you do that mostly by killing mobs, and you want a crafting system.

Next - you sound like you'd prefer a relaxed, but enforced roleplay environment.

Given all these things, I would recommend you narrow down the -types- of games: You are not looking for what is commonly known as an RPI. RPIs tend to have a more rigid roleplay environment, they have permanent death, they don't have levels. So I'd rule games like Armageddon, Shadows of Isuldur, and Harshlands out.

Next, I'd probably rule out DIKU and LP as codebases, unless you find one with a completely rewritten combat system. They're automatic - you type "kill mob" and the combat script engages, and doesn't end til someone is either dead, or flees from the scene, or knocks someone unconcious. You wouldn't type "kill mob" over and over again. There is generally also no engagement system, which is what you experience in Dragonrealms.

What I -would- suggest, is a MOO, as far as codebases go. The MOO codebase can accommodate an engagement system -and- something similar (though not the same) to the combat system of Dragonrealms and Gemstone. The code also accommodates various roleplay devices, such as socials (verbs), introductions, and the like. It also can readily accommodate various crafting systems. I haven't played any in years, and the last one I did play closed down. I know there are many out there so you'd have to do a little research.

BTW: MOO stands for Mud: Object-Oriented and refers to the codebase itself, which was created with the C programming language.
Jazuela is offline   Reply With Quote