View Single Post
Old 04-12-2011, 12:13 AM   #18
melopene

melopene is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to melopene
Re: Confessions of a 15-year MUD-girl

I somehow wonder if a MUD that was going to attempt to subject me to a similar level of scrutiny as a background check would be worth my time even checking out. I know that I've seen a lot of people starting out as young as I did - or younger - who started out somewhat twinky, but with someone there to offer mature guidance have bloomed into great people. I actually got an IM from someone just like that a few nights ago, telling me that he remembered me and really appreciated how nice I was to him and how his years of MUDding were really special memories. There are some players who are 40+ years old and never become any less of a twink, just like SnowTroll said.

Besides, there are plenty of smart teenagers out there who know how to get around even the most intrusive of searches. I think your claims are likely highly exaggerated, and in fact I hope that's the case. They may be a way of life for a number of us, but for the bulk of users, they're just a game.

I don't think I've shared my 'sage advice rules', but they seem strangely relevant at this moment, so here they are:

1) It's okay to get up and walk away sometimes. It's okay to miss things that happen and find out later.
2) Do NOT let this suck away your real life. Ever.
3) If your friends come around with beer, and you have a choice between the game or beer, and can't have both, go for the beer.

Incidentally, I've appreciated the feedback I've gotten from everyone so far. You guys rock.
melopene is offline   Reply With Quote