View Single Post
Old 01-02-2005, 12:15 PM   #62
Jazuela

Jazuela will become famous soon enoughJazuela will become famous soon enough
I think the entire discussion is silly, and the accusations being slung back and forth even sillier.

Within the scope of -this- website, there exists a definition of an "RPI." RPI can mean many - many different things, some of which have nothing to do with muds at all.

But here, on TopMudSites, an RPI follows a distinct set of criteria which seperates it from other muds.

The only games I know of that fit the criteria of an RPI *HERE AT TMS* are the games that the originator of this thread said he isn't interested in.

So - either he isn't looking for an RPI as defined by this specific website's listings or I just don't know of any others that do fit it.

Perhaps the originator of the thread might kindly tell us what, exactly, he is looking for and not to use a term that obviously brings out the worst in people on all sides of the issue.

Are you looking for permanent death of characters? Are you looking for an "intense roleplaying experience" in general, or do you require that "intensity" to be driven by specific rules and code to support it?

I've played Inferno, which can be very intense roleplay at times, but it doesn't fit the criteria of an RPI, according to the guidelines set here on this particular website. It has not only an OOC channel, it has an entire OOC area. Plotlines aren't kept strictly IC, people discuss them up in the OOC area and even on their unofficial bulletin board forum. There is no permanent death, there are levels and "training" that is experience-point-based rather than a more realistic "trial and error." It has a massive "verblist" (called socials in other games) which often are totally incongruent with the game's genre (you can "hop around like a bunny" or some such with one of them, for instance)

I used to play Gemstone, which also used to have some pretty intense RP at times. It wasn't RP enforced though, it was merely RP allowed with a vague rule requiring people to remain "in character." So if it was "in character" for your character to say "I'mma big bad evul nasty elfie and I gotta treasure boxie so's I wanna git someone ta pop m'boxie" and jump around and giggle, then it's all good. Stupid as heck to me, but perfectly within the boundaries of the game's rules.

I currently play one of the games that fits the criteria of an RPI here on this particular website but it's one of the ones the originator of this thread said he wasn't interested in.
Jazuela is offline   Reply With Quote