View Single Post
Old 02-22-2016, 08:55 AM   #22
Jazuela

Jazuela will become famous soon enoughJazuela will become famous soon enough
Re: Why is rape acceptable in some MUDs?

Armageddon didn't have a policy other than the standard consent rule, regarding rape, til fairly recently. It didn't have a specific policy because it hadn't ever been an issue. Players who wanted their fantasy characters to "like it rough" would do so, and those who didn't, or had no interest in "rough" sexual roleplay, refrained. But the lines started to blur between "characters who like it rough" and "players who enjoyed rape scenes", and it eventually became an issue. So the staff wrote up clear rules about it.

Rape cannot happen in Armageddon, whether acted out, or virtually off-camera. Because of the issues the came up, players can't even have their characters -claim- that they were raped by any existing or recent other character. It just didn't happen. This is one aspect of game play that is simply not allowed to occur. You can't refuse consent, because the "rapist" isn't allowed to ask for it. So you can't roleplay that it happened at all, even as a "fade to black" assumed rape that wasn't roleplayed out.

Rape does happen to VNPCs, and half-elves are still the product of rape in most cases. There is no choice (such as Malifax alluded to above - "you are raped, or I kill you."). That choice has been eliminated. The would-be rapist can either change his mind and choose to not be interested in rape at all, or he can try to kill the would-be victim - or maim them, or torture them (with consent) in other ways. He can be a pathological psycho Freddie but rape is not on the menu of options.

Personally I'm glad this policy was added, but it kind of creeps me out that it was necessary in the first place.
Jazuela is offline   Reply With Quote