View Single Post
Old 02-09-2010, 12:28 AM   #3
Threshold
Legend

Home MUD: Threshold RPG
Threshold will become famous soon enough
Re: Engaging Players - Desgining Group Contests

I think you are 100% correct, but believe it or not this is not a persuasive argument to players as a whole. Players look at that as the developer's problem. In other words, its the devs' job to find a way to get content created fast enough. The fact that it is easier and faster to produce content on a text mud doesn't make them think that's an asset for text muds, it makes them think the graphical devs should just work harder.

I have been most effective at luring graphical gamers to muds by pointing to features that are impossible in graphical games but work well in text. One of the best examples is user generated content. For example, Threshold has a very complex and deep player housing system that pretty much lets players create anything. This is only possible because players are not limited by the pre-created art assets the devs give them in advance.

I also talk about the fact that the MUD command line interface is far more conducive to chatting/communication. One of the many reasons people chat more in text games is that you are always at the "chat prompt" (rather than having to hit enter to begin chatting, which can sometimes cause all sorts of problems if you hit enter twice and your chat letters open up 47 windows instead).
Threshold is offline   Reply With Quote