Thread: Graphical Muds
View Single Post
Old 02-19-2005, 03:33 PM   #8
Hyptosis

Hyptosis is on a distinguished road
I've always wanted to create a simple mud, small and let it grow out, with simple images as well. I've worked with a lot of coders in the past, and i'm guessing this isn't as easy and simple as it seems as every single one of them give up before we're done. One time we got far enough I thought it was a sure thing, and bought two servers and then they flaked out on me at the end. I'd done hundreds, maybe a thousand images for the game. What is the key to finding someone who would be interested in this, and what code base would you suggest we use?

I used to work on a mud called Karchan. It was very cool and I enjoyed it a lot. Games have come a long way since then, but I recently saw Karchan still had players! As simple, and as buggy as it is. It was still running! Pretty cool. I'd always wanted to make some kind of game similar. Makes me remember the days when a simple text mud and some goblins was all you needed to have fun.

That second link may make more sense to some of you than it did to me. In any event, it was cool of 'karn' to release it. I've been working with a group of programers, artists, and musicians, however they have been stumped on the whole network side of things.

Even if the game was very simple, there were ideas we had to keep interest and make it nice. I always thought a neat paperdoll system would be cool. Similar to the diablo games, or maybe how gaiaonline has theirs set up. Let me find some samples. You can see how simple, yet effective they are.

Granted I'm not into the anime thing. You can see what I mean, there is a lot of potential for greatness there. Gaia is incredibly popular because of this simple effect. course, they're not a game but a forum, but you know what I mean I hope.

I've done paperdoll art in the past, although I have no samples immediately available, but I have a ton of other samples of my work at my site.
- -

I don't really know where I'm going with this, just wondering if anyone out there has wanted to make a similar game. I like the idea of keeping it simple first. Then adding on eyecandy and complex battle plans and flashy blah blah blah. In any event, hope I made my point. =D I'd love to chat with some folks about this, so please let me know what you guys think. You know how these pipe dreams are.
Hyptosis is offline   Reply With Quote