Thread: Mud Addiction
View Single Post
Old 05-31-2005, 10:19 PM   #4
Singer

Singer is on a distinguished road
Well, I always been very focused of creating and dreaming things up.

Discovering mud's and online gaming might have cost me a book or two by now.

But Muds tend to affect one harder then one thinks. Since it is an outlet for your suppressed desires and fantasies - it get tied to your ego and your 'reward' mechanisms in a very real way.

Had a very bad experience recently, and it was the last straw on a period of my life that can only be described as 'the worst year of my adult life'. And I was a zombie for a week, could hardly convince myself to make food - and I had problems sleeping and issues with fits of rage for three weeks after that. Something I havn't experienced since I was a teenager.

So Mud's can bite you, harder then can be imagined. And when you go cold turkey, there are real withdrawl symptoms. All the classic textbook ones from an addiction.

I know a friend that feels that it was harder to quit playing Mud then quit smoking.

That feels a bit absurd to me, but then he was admin on three muds - one of the biggest one in the country.

It is like a lot of things, when you are on the top of your game - nothing will shake you. But when you are down and shaky, or don't have much 'reward mechanisms' in real life I think Mudding can be a real danger to your 'real life'.
Singer is offline   Reply With Quote