View Single Post
Old 01-20-2012, 05:43 PM   #10
Darren Brimhall

Darren Brimhall is on a distinguished road
Re: Why I leave MUDs - Misha's version

Help files are good, but not good enough.

What's needed is a group whose responcibility is to contact any newbie quickly to help them not only with the basics, but to also give them a 'boost' in the direction they want ther character to go in. Then from time to time check up on them to see if they are moving in their desired direction.

Marrach had the Awakeners, a group created by players dedicated to helping all newbie players get into the Game. But as time went on, and things became colder due to player politics, the group itself became only a shell of its former self--leaving the initial introductions to any player who even cared to help.

In other MUD's the way to do this is for Guilds and Groups with in the Game's Universe to have some of its members be on the look out for strangers that appear in city/town/village/land, get to know them and then try steering them towards becomming a member or the members guild/group. This activity can defeat the reasons Misha setablished for leaving a MUD; The newbie becomes emersed in the MUD, takes interests in what goes on, and in turn helps the MUD grow...

There isn't much I can do about Inner Circles, Cliques, Rude Players, or, in what happened to me with Marrach, being burned by players who lie to staff to get what they want and other players who wanted me to play in the manner they wanted (which in my opinion kills Role Play), except to do what Misha does--go find another MUD to play.

Darren Brimhall
Darren Brimhall is offline   Reply With Quote