View Single Post
Old 12-25-2008, 11:49 PM   #5
Delerak

Name: Dan
Delerak is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Delerak Send a message via AIM to Delerak Send a message via MSN to Delerak Send a message via Yahoo to Delerak
Re: The first hurdle of opening.

Starting your own online community, regardless of whether it's a mud, NWN server, or whatever, is always going to be difficult. MUDs in general are already a fairly small niche in the gaming world. So the many challenges could be listed for pages probably. My one thing always came down to never being satisfied with my work. I would always want it to be better and never took the leap into testing, opening the mud and advertising. I had good staff at one point and it really just eventually wore out like a pair of shoes. It's easy to talk about things, putting it all into action and implementing it is much harder unless you're willing to gain the knowledge yourself. Relying on others is pretty pointless if you're going to open your own mud. Everybody does it different, but normally it's one person in charge and they run the team, if that person doesn't have a certain level of know-how about everything that goes into a mud (programming, building, memory etc) I think it will fail.
Delerak is offline   Reply With Quote