View Single Post
Old 09-09-2003, 12:59 AM   #8
ChronoC

ChronoC is on a distinguished road
Be careful who you trust, I started out the same way. I didnt know a thing about coding! I took in some "friends" that wanted to help code and things always turned up missing or broken, usually right after a disagreement on the direction things were going. "Things" like this went on for about a year and a half, then I got lucky, I found out that someone in my own family has a fairly decent background in C, C++, which is what my mud uses, and other coding languages as well. It took a while to get him interested in the idea, but once he got into it, it stuck. He's been making drastic changes to our codebase ever since, and he does try to explain things to me, which helps. I'm learning my code, bit by bit.
*Be very careful who you give access to.
*Make your own backups, and keep plenty, especially the very first, just in case. A good ftp program will make that easy.
*Get a server you can trust, or set one up yourself. Be wary of free servers.
*Have a plan, even if it's just something simple, have one. Get a group of creative minds together to help you enhance your ideas, and go for it.
*Dont let anyone tell you that you cant do it. You can do anything you put your mind to. It just takes time.
ChronoC is offline   Reply With Quote