View Single Post
Old 10-16-2008, 11:02 AM   #19
ruckus

Home MUD: retromud.org:3000
ruckus is on a distinguished road
Re: What makes the perfect _Necromancer_?

While pathing in RetroMud does help add flavor to the concept of and choices available to Necromancer, I'd like to focus on the core of Necromancer itself. I've been getting some very good replies here and I'm actually quite surprised at the wide variety of concepts in peoples' minds. It's clear to me that Necromancer needs to have a variety of flavors, while maintaining the ability to have powerful and useful undead creations.

To recap, here's what I've understood so far:

1. Necromancers are not necessarily evil but are fascinated, sometimes obsessed, with the dead. Be that the spiritual plane of being dead, understanding the conciousness of those who are dead (like in Fringe, for instance), or by trying to understand the inner-workings of every part of the body (like a computer hacker).

2. Necromancers aren't healers, even though they may have subscribed to that thinking at some time. They are much more interested in making the body work for them, or do things it may not currently do, more than they are interested in keeping it maintained and in its original condition.

3. Necromancers aren't mages, though they may have some damage-dealing ability opened to them by their knowledge of how things work (or their connection to some of the darker arts). Their undead creations should augment their damage-dealing, not be replaced by it.

4. Necromancer creations aren't viewed as hideous monsters (ig: frankenstein monster) by all communities. Some communities may rely heavily on them for labor or commerce (like mercenary work, not merchant work).

5. Necromancer does soom moonlighting in ancient magic and dark arts, and should have the option to pursue these activities later - in lieu of concentrating on their creations.

Did I get that right?

Last edited by ruckus : 10-16-2008 at 11:03 AM. Reason: fixed typo
ruckus is offline   Reply With Quote