View Single Post
Old 07-02-2002, 01:11 PM   #3
Alexander Tau

Alexander Tau is on a distinguished road
What the original post is suggesting is adding Change into the model in a very dynamic way, a good idea for sure.

To be programmed or scripted you do have to use some form of math model that has numbers that can be tested. I really like the idea of picking a point on a spectrum, and having the current value slowly move towards it.

The trick comes in finding enough elements to add into the system to make it really effect the players lives. I agree you could have 10 different versions of a riddle, and move back and forth by the numbers, but what would that be based on? It has to be something understandable so the players have a chance to figure it out to some degree.

If you had a game that had fundamental forces, like oh say gravity, you could alter its effects in the suggested fashion. As the planet orbits the strength of the gravity field changes. Basic movement would be effected, the amount you could lift would change, and spells would have to be altered in some cases to compensate. Perhaps during certain time periods the gravity goes WAY up and things slow to a crawl.

Socially this might create a sort of siesta-like time that affects all creatures on the planet. For a few weeks people do not move much, talk a lot, but otherwise simply cannot be up and about too much. This is a seasonal example, but perhaps the gravity is affected by the amount of magic done on the planet, heh.

I could see a system where a few forces are the basis of magic and they change over time. Other aspects of the game though would not be as easy to abstract into a numeric spectrum.

A.T
(-)
Alexander Tau is offline   Reply With Quote