Thread: Failure
View Single Post
Old 04-27-2009, 10:03 AM   #3
Voidrider

Voidrider is on a distinguished road
Re: Failure

I think your game sounded fine, as described. Of course, this is coming from a mud owner that can be described as about as niche as niche can be :P . Many times I have been tempted to run something more recognizable but I was a tabletop RPG publisher long before I attempted to run a mud and I still have a wealth of ideas floating in my head that I would like to see completed in book (or other) form.

For me, muds allow me to create something, effectively "publish" it for play and see a little world I envisioned in my head come to life. To be honest, if I have a single player, even just once in a while, that is awesome, but my real goal and measure of "success" is to simply complete a creation. This simple fact is also why I adamantly stick to my guns with players who complain, want to argue or "screw" around with my worlds. If it doesn't fit my vision, it ain't happenin'. There are literally scores of other muds out there that might be more appealing to one of these example.

My suggestion is this: if you want to attract a playerbase and "succeed" in that arena, don't make a niche game and, possibly, throw in with an established milieu/genre mud. If you want to "succeed" in your creative endeavors, build any sort of mud you want and do it exactly like you envision it to be.
Voidrider is offline   Reply With Quote