Thread: Diku license
View Single Post
Old 10-27-2003, 05:56 PM   #66
Iluvatar

Iluvatar is on a distinguished road
I perceived the original post that started this free-for-all as “We slapped Medievia on TMS, Aardwolf is doing similar and allowed to survive here, why?” That’s actually a valid point regardless of what ulterior motives if any, might have prompted it.

Strictly speaking from my own observations of the Medievia discussions and this one, there is a huge difference in degree, intent and implications between the two. I wouldn’t even risk comparing the two usually without first lighting my own barbecue pit in preparation for the roasting I would get. Should Synozeer treat them both the same way or others doing exactly the same thing as Aardwolf? I don’t think he has either the time or patience to become “the board cop” especially when the community is so divided and without legal precedent to guide us.

I think when push comes to shove someday in the courts; the discussions and resultant community standards that we establish will have great weight in the courts. Towards that eventuality, we hash and rehash the same points over and over just like this board was meant to do. We learn a bit more each time it’s discussed and I think that’s healthy and should rarely result in a shunning unless blatant theft of code is involved and proven. That shouldn’t mean condoning advertised violations of licenses since if you chip at the tree it eventually falls over, it means keep it out in the open and discuss it, we all benefit.
Iluvatar is offline   Reply With Quote