View Single Post
Old 09-02-2007, 10:15 AM   #7
Lasher
Administrator

Name: Derek
Lasher has a spectacular aura aboutLasher has a spectacular aura about
Re: What Does "Fair" Mean?

As a player I completely agree with this one. There was a time when I could play MUDs all day long and would not have "paid for perks" in a MUD. Money was more valuable to me than my time. Not that it would have stopped me playing that game at all, depends on the model.

Life moves on. For me personally I have a wife, a 3 year old daughter, a home to maintain and a number of contracted projects to complete. You could argue that I "choose" to do those things so shouldn't expect to compete with someone in a game that has 12 hours a day free. I'd argue the point on "choose". It is the equivalent of arguing that those with no money could "choose" to make more money and buy perks so they have just the same options as anyone else.

Regardless, if the only way I can be relevant in a game is to "choose" not to do those things it is time to find a new hobby. Time is more precious than money to some people. Money is more precious than time to some people. I'm all for a good compromise that allows both groups of people to enjoy the same game.

Last thought, what about someone who has a lot of time and a lot of free money? Well good for them, with everything else equal they're always going to be better at whatever it is they decide to compete in, online or offline. That is not the group you want to balance a game for.
Lasher is offline   Reply With Quote