View Single Post
Old 07-28-2002, 10:31 PM   #6
Noplex

Noplex is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Noplex Send a message via AIM to Noplex Send a message via Yahoo to Noplex
There are many factors in when to decide to port code changes over to a game and when not to. Here are a few that I think are the most major ones.

1. How big is the MUD that you are coding for?

By big, I mean player-base. The bigger the MUD is; the less you will want to have more frequent code changes unless of course they are immediate bugfixes. More and more code changes cause more and more bugs; and with a big playerbase, people tend to get ****ed off easily.

2. What kind of change is it?

Would it affect the playerbase alot? If it would, It would probably be better to put it in slowly and gradually, giving people time to adapt.

3. Is it a bugfix?

Bugfixes should always be fixed immediately. I don't care what kind of bugfix it is, a bug is a bug, and can lead to another bug.

4. What is the purpose of the change?

If the change isn't something that is drastically NEEDED by the game; you shouldn't rush it.

5. Test, test, test.

The more time you keep code from entering the game, the less bugs it presents. The more testing, the less bugs. New code always has bugs, and bugs can easily interfear with players; and can create crash-bugs.
Noplex is offline   Reply With Quote