View Single Post
Old 02-22-2003, 04:17 AM   #153
ChronoC

ChronoC is on a distinguished road
I don't usually post on these boards. I have been watching and reading for quite some time and have found absolutely no reason to post when nothing will come of it but insults and degredations. However, as an administrator for a MUD currently in the lower 80 ranks, I have to say that I find the "underdog of the day" idea a rather well thought out one.
My thoughts are simply these:
1. An underdog is someone at a disadvantage. Very true, and very right, most muds not on the first page, don't get the traffic of the upper end muds. People, in general not all, want to find something quick and easy. First page Muds are it, then they move on.
2. An underdog is one who is expected to, or loses regularly.
Also very true, however, in the sport sense, that does not mean they are not the better, or that they are in some way flawed. In this case the "winners" are decided by votes. Muds in the lower 80 would be underdogs by exact definition. They do not get the votes to "win" a spot in the top 20, and have less of a chance of gaining in popularity because of that status. By popularity I mean, getting players to play and vote for the better of the mud.
3. Brody has given his email address, and asked admins to contact him if they dont want their mud listed. This is leaving the decision up to them. If they find this insulting they have the choice not to be a part of it. It is their decision, not yours.
4. Brody might simply be doing this because of the good karma or the nice warm fuzzy feeling he might get when someone comes up to him and says, "thanks, I read your 'underdog mud of the day' post and found the MUD of my dreams".

For those of you specifically looking for an ulterior motive, shame on you! I have the distinct feeling that you have never done anything nice in your life unless you were expected to gain something from it. If that is the case, what has come of humanity? Good for you Brody, I just wish I had thought of it!

Now for those of you who wish to continue to rant and rage about a service of kindness. Please take this to an Ethical forum of some kind. This is no longer advertisements, but a conversation about the ethics of this particular subject.
I actually ask the admins of Top Mud Sites to make sure this continues no further on this thread. I, for one, would actually like to be able to see a list of the "underdog muds of the day" so that I might see what other muds, not in the top 20, have to offer, and Im sorry, with my life and running my own mud, I dont have time to scroll through all 100 listings and find ones not even in the top 100 that match what I look for.
Thank you Brody for making things easier for me. Thank you for helping me find what I am looking for. And most importantly thank you for the service you are providing to those who wish to have it.

Any and all responses should be made on a new thread on a new forum where we can more accurately handle the ethical aspects of this situation.
This is Brody's thread to "Advertise for Players" for the mud of the day that he chooses. Let us leave it as such and not cloud this thread with even more useless crap.

Chrono
ChronoC is offline   Reply With Quote