Thread: Sex & Violence
View Single Post
Old 09-14-2007, 09:49 AM   #1
Xerihae

Name: Chris
Xerihae will become famous soon enough
Sex & Violence

Ok, this could fit in MUD Administration but as it's also a very general topic I decided this would be a better place for it.

Why is it, exactly, that we deem it perfectly acceptable for a child to play a game that involves maiming, killing, dismembering, or possibly all of the above, yet a huge amount of fuss is kicked up if there's the slightest hint of nudity? This mainly seems prevalent in the US but applies elsewhere too. How come we're happy for our children to see the inside of someones body, but not the outside? Why are we so averse to letting people see a natural body? In a graphical game you don't put clothes on a wolf, so why do people get all incensed when you don't put clothes on a humanoid?

I've seen it in MUDs too. Games that allow you to run around wantonly slaughtering things are considered child-friendly, but if a description mentions breasts, nipples, vaginas, or penises it suddenly becomes adult-oriented. Are we really that hypocritical? Is it some weird consequence of the strange prohibition many religions seem to place on sex that has filtered down over the centuries?

Could it even be that putting such things in games would HELP the world in general? The vast majority of children who play violent video games do not go out and commit violence, except for those rare cases that are blown up by the media. I'd be willing to postulate that the vast majority of children DO end up experimenting with sex at an earlier age than we'd like precisely because they haven't come across it so much.

For the record I'm not a nudist, just curious! I'm also talking about descriptions of the human body being naked in general, not necessarily MUDsex/cybering (is it possible to separate the two?).
Xerihae is offline   Reply With Quote