Thread: non-mudders
View Single Post
Old 03-23-2006, 04:13 PM   #1
zombiedepot

zombiedepot is on a distinguished road
Something I've been curious about lately is what's happening to the MUD community... I've been thinking a lot about the people who don't play MUDs, and the people who used to.

For example: A lot of my friends whom I've played MUDs with in the past can't seem to let go of the MMORPG craze for a moment to use their imaginations.

How do you get the non-MUDder to abandon their polished world of polygons and textures for a world of descriptions and rooms? Personally, I can barely stand to type MMORPG as an acronym, let alone consistantly pay for one. They're all graphics and bad gameplay, and it seems expansion packs are the only thing keeping them going.

A MUD is never quite done, and neither are the players. The concepts are similar, but the player bases are quite different. A MUD never needs the latest graphics card, and the imagination can render a new picture everytime.

What do you guys think? Do MUDs really have newbies anymore? Can a non-MUDder become a MUDder? Everyone has an imagination, and can read, so what's the problem?

My copy of WoW has been a paper weight after 60 days (30 for free, 30 for a fee), and I don't see myself going back but I find the game itself goregous, just not enough to have them milk my bank account every month. My friends think I'm crazy because I feel more comfortable paying for MUDs than I do World of Warcraft or Everquest.
zombiedepot is offline   Reply With Quote