Thread: New home city
View Single Post
Old 09-14-2003, 10:37 PM   #6
Estarra

Home MUD: Lusternia
Estarra is on a distinguished road
Events that shake the game up are always a good thing and the gates to other planes seem pretty cool.

It's hard to imagine of how the city will pan out without knowing a little more about your MUD. If there is a lot of player conflict (either PVP or pure roleplaying), they may not appreciate being in the same city (or inevitably, a group will want to break out of the city and found their guild somewhere else). Who runs the cities, players or some sort of NPC king/queen/dictator?

You mention you envision factions and the government possibly fragmenting with a longterm goal of having multiple governments. I'm having a hard time wrapping my brain around multiple governments in the same city. Do you plan on spawning new cities for disgruntled guilds/players? If players can run cities, what happens if a group of wizards and priests take control and want to kick out the thieves (or vice versa)? Will the dispossessed be able to colonize a new city? If so, what happened to all the work you put in creating their section in a city.

Personally, I prefer MUDs that have multiple cities which generally seems to capitalize on player conflict, but that's not to say a one city game can't be dynamic.
Estarra is offline   Reply With Quote