Thread: Moderation
View Single Post
Old 08-29-2007, 09:44 AM   #20
Detah

Detah is on a distinguished road
Re: Moderation

I disagree with everything you said. Not because you are being illogical. I think your reasoning is logical and correct. The problem is that your original premise is false. There are no rules for this site. I searched using the forum's search engine using every conceivable word for 'rules', 'abuse', 'language', 'faq', 'vulgar', 'foul', 'posts', I also manually searched the forums for a Rules section or thread and I navigated through the forum faq. There are two items there which could be considered 'rules', 'What are moderators' and 'Why have some of the words in my post been blanked'. It is clear from these two items that a) moderators can edit and delete posts and b) it is insinuated that foul language will be censored. It does NOT state any other guidelines or rules for forum behavior. It seems completely illogical to have no rules but enforce some set of undisclosed rules. Is the goal to utterly confuse the posters? Is the goal to alienate the posters?

I will now intentionally take Samson's words out of context.... (my apologies in advance to Samson, but his words here perfectly make my point when taken out of his context) Arbitrary post deletion _is_ exactly what is going on here. I think it is unfair and just plain cruel of the forum owners to make the posters guess what the rules are, or worse, have to 'learn' the rules by trial and error. If I spend 15 minutes crafting a post, then I do not want that time spent for nothing because a moderator creates a new rule and imposes it by deleting my post. [If the rules are not posted, how can anyone be sure that new rules are not created which are unfavorable. I would like to enter this forum with eyes wide open. That does not seem possible if no rules are stated but some are enforced. I do not see how this is a valid model for a forum to run in.] This wastes everyone's time. It is very inefficient for all. Aren't forum rules important enough that they should be clearly marked so everyone has a chance to know them before posting?

If the rules are posted somewhere on this site, then please make it more obvious. I did everything that a reasonable person could be expected to do, to find the forum rules. I just cannot find them.

Detah@Arcania
Detah is offline   Reply With Quote