View Single Post
Old 03-09-2011, 10:43 AM   #7
SnowTroll

SnowTroll will become famous soon enough
Re: Cataclysm Burnout: Gotta love it! :)

I disagree with the general premise that people leave muds for MMOs, or vice versa. Like someone above said, people who really like graphical MMOs don't leave them for muds. They don't get the same things from muds that they would from their favorite MMO. Similarly, people who really like muds don't get their fix from WoW or the other MMOs out there. Some people probably like both kinds of games and play whatever they're in the mood to play at the time.

Muds only complete with MMOs in the sense that there are a limited number of computer game players out there, and a limited number of hours in the day. If I were a gamer, bored with the newest WoW content and intrigued by a new Threshold addition (even if it's not so different from existing Threshold content and I'll get tired of it in a couple of days), it's not some kind of massive shift in my universe to play Threshold for awhile, until I'm bored there and get back into WoW. I'm not crossing any bright lines or changing from the MMO camp to the Mud camp. I have a few hours to kill and want to do something fun. Tomorrow, I might have fun shooting hoops. When I'm sick of shooting hoops, nobody's going to point out how old and tired basketball is and theorize that basketball players are trying out muds now that they're bored with the game.
SnowTroll is offline   Reply With Quote