View Single Post
Old 03-25-2008, 04:35 AM   #78
Ammit

Ammit is on a distinguished road
Re: Guidelines for an RPI mud.

Which means you can't be a level 10 Cook, unless you're multiclassing. If you are multiclassing, then most times you will only be able to have a few classes.

Levels for skills - This seems acceptable.

Levels for characters - Even you have said calling someone a "Level 10 Fighter" is silly.

Although regardless I wouldn't make either one a definition on what is or isn't an RPI. I'm just responding to the assertion that levels are IC.

But these levels don't happen because you've just killed your fifth bunny or used kick 37 times, they happen because a ceremony has been performed. Having a black belt doesn't give you the ability to do certain things. And being able to do certain things doesn't give you a black belt. Graduating from a school gives you a black belt. However someone has no need to graduate from a school to gain those abilities. They could be taught privately by a black belt master.

There are many solutions, and requiring a delay is only one of them. The code can't stop people from roleplaying unrealistically. As long as I can walk up to someone and type "say Isn't this game fun? I thought my character was going to die 5 minutes ago, let's go loot some mobs" then the code allows players to roleplay unrealistically. To single out the need to travel in a certain space in a certain time and then select one solution to the problem and then say "All RPI's must have this" is absurd.

You can't say an RPI must have arbitrary code feature X to enforce realistic roleplay. You can say the code MUST ALWAYS enforce realistic roleplay (I disagree here as well, but you can say it), but you can't just pick or choose when it does. As such anything about skills or levels shouldn't be in a definition of an RPI.

I would generalize this to no constraints on player actions due to OOC reasoning. Me killing Bob the Merchant shouldn't be reliant upon whether he is a PC or NPC. Now whether or not I can do something might be constrained because of what has been coded into a mud (for example I might not be able to skin a human's body and craft a cape from it because it hasn't been coded), but it shouldn't be constrained due to OOC reasoning (I can skin an NPC human's skin, but I can't skin a PC human's skin because that PC's friends might want to collect the body to resurrect it).

So are you saying that RPI's cannot have global channels such as a newbie channel? I could go on at length about why this is wrong (IMO), but I'll see if this is truly what you're saying.