Thread: Stats System
View Single Post
Old 03-10-2006, 05:17 PM   #15
Baram

Home MUD: Tears of Polaris
Baram is on a distinguished road
I disagree with that.

Our system is also classless, so while there may be a popular archtype, there really is no perfect stats for them as you may choose one or two different skills.

You also have to factor in what the stats do in order to choose a system that's good for you. In our case things like HP/MP are not determined by a single stat, instead it's two stats that play into it(with different weights). But each stat also has another effects, for example Con and Agility factor into HP. Con also can help with things like elemental damage and poison resistance, where Agility can help you be faster and dodge more blows. It's a trade off, do I want more Con so I get big HP and some decent resistance, or do I want to put more into Agility to get a smaller boost to HP but a higher rate of dodge. If balanced right, both are an equally good choice, it's up to you're play style. Obviously if you want to be a ranged combatant you probably don't need the dodging effect, but if Agility also factors into how fast you can shoot your bow... well then you're back to equally good choices.

But you are right, it's really up to you with your mud. What system do you think you're perspective players will enjoy? We choose ours based on the fact that we want things in Ilyrias to be as open to customization as possible, without becoming unbalancing. Whats the goal for your game?
Baram is offline   Reply With Quote