View Single Post
Old 11-27-2003, 01:18 PM   #18
Tezcatlipoca

Tezcatlipoca is an unknown quantity at this point
As someone mentioned earlier (and I think you may have misinterpreted it) you need to essentially setup an account system with your Dynamic IPers (such as AOL people). When someone logs on from an AOL address, have it check a list of vaiable account names (or just have it check and see if it's a preexisting account). If it is, let them through. If not, send them a message that says all AOL (or whatever ISP the IP refers to) members have to register in writing (by email, and using their REAL AOL address) to gain an account. Of course, don't forget to rm the offenders accounts after you put in the implementation. This *wont* effect any of your current AOL players, unless they want to make a new character. If you have lots of characer being created all the time by these players, set up the account with a special "password" that needs to be inputed for AOL uses every time they make a new character, and issue the passwords to your players that you want to keep, and others that request them via email.
No, this won't completely and utterly stop the problem. But it will definatly help. You'll be able to nip the offenders in the bud quickly when you realize who they are, and will "ban" them for longer then banning a specific AOL address. Additionally, you have the extra screening process by email, which will provide another limited form of protection; they have to use their AOL address to do it. Sure.. they can just get a new AOL address, but chances are, you'll figure out who it is via the language they use in their message at least 50% of the time.
Lastly, after having to wait 1-7 days each time, and register a *new* aol account every time they get banned is enough to push anyone off the side and make them go away. Once they are gone, you can then decide to disable the "feature."
I've done this on other non-mud server appplications before where "characters" are a *lot* less static then mud characters, and it works well. You mud, in which it sounds a bit like people burn through characters at a good rate, I think would help solve your problem.

-Tezcatlipoca
Tezcatlipoca is offline   Reply With Quote