Old 04-21-2011, 07:28 AM   #13
KaVir
Legend

Name: Richard
Home MUD: God Wars II
KaVir will become famous soon enoughKaVir will become famous soon enough
Re: LFM

Two points, both in relation to your comment I quoted in my original post:

"The vast majority of completely free MUDs tend to have such tiny populations, or certainly well under 30-50, which is why I tend to disregard them."

1) Most muds are completely free, and most muds have very few players, but those two facts are unrelated. If your primary interest is number of players, then you should use different criteria, otherwise your search for big muds will actually ignore the biggest muds.

2) To , "In general, players view all their subsequent virtual worlds in the light cast from their first one". What is the difference between a "huge" population and a "tiny" population? The answer of course depends on which player you ask, and is relative to their usual mud; "huge" generally means more than they're used to, while "tiny" means fewer, and both extremes tend to be considered undesirable.

Of course, everyone does it. My point is just that size is relative, depending on what you're used to - what one player views as "tiny" another may consider "huge". The biggest muds on MudStats peak at 800-900 simultaneous players; would you enjoy playing your regular mud with that many simultaneous users, or would you find it too crowded?
KaVir is offline   Reply With Quote