DonathinFrye

Name: Donathin Frye
Home MUD: Optional Realities
Home MUD: Atonement RPI
Home MUD: Project Redshift
DonathinFrye is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to DonathinFrye
Re: MUDs Don't Have To Die

I haven't poked around here in quite a while, and was so surprised at how little has changed!

Matt, would you say that Achaea's record-breaking revenues are enough, that your recent personal success in the face of the death of so many others MUDs is enough, that you will finally be able to pay back all of the BETA testers for Earth Eternal who bought micro-transactions only to have you sell the game to an outside company that then wiped their characters before shutting the game down shortly thereafter?

As always, your ability to con players into shelling out ridiculous sums of money for a Pay-to-Win game, when there have always been better products out there for free is a major reason why MUDs are dying. You've spent years treating games designed by people who put full-time hours into developing them for free, driven only by their own passion, creativity and talent, like competitors. You've used bullying tactics and cash to promote an average, uninspired product at the cost of supporting a struggling community as a whole.

Two things surprise me about the MUDing community, currently:

1) That we (the MUDing Commuity as a whole) are still around at all, despite how far graphical games have come since our inception. That we're still inspired by such a simple interface, as a community. It's an impressive, strange, and beautiful thing.

2) That you (Matt) are still able to make any money at all as a MUD administrator after the way you've treated the larger community and failed so hard financially at reaching for even mediocrity shim-sham. Talking about Earth Eternal again.

I, for one, will not be celebrating your financial success. I, for one, feel that your players deserve better than to be treated like addicted gold-mines personified, even if they do not.

My apologies.
DonathinFrye is offline   Reply With Quote